Dynamic Design Solutions regularly organizes a three-day course on finite element model verification, validation and updating technology applied to structural static and dynamic analysis. This course is intended for all who want to improve their understanding of the technology.
Finite element model verification, validation and updating are essential steps in simulation-based engineering processes. During this course, participants will not only learn the basic principles of important tools like test-analysis correlation and finite element model updating, but also get hands-on experience using specialized software (FEMtools).
All aspects of a FE model verification and validation process will be reviewed including importing and preparing FEA and test data, analyzing correlation with reference test data, selecting updating parameters, defining realistic targets, computing sensitivity coefficients, running updating loops and postprocessing the results.
Complementary technologies and applications like probabilistic analysis, pretest planning, structural modifications, force identification and material characterization will also be discussed and applied.
The FEMtools Model Updating software will be used for hands-on exercises during approximately half of the time. Participants are invited to bring a portable computer to use during the hands-on exercises.
Date and Location
Date: March 26-28, 2014
Location: Hotel Mercure Leuven Center, Alfons Smetsplein 7, 3000 Leuven, Belgium (web site)
The hotel is situated in the Leuven city center. Leuven is located 20 km from Brussels international airport and can easily be reached by train or car.
This course is suitable for anyone interested in learning the state-of-the-art in finite element model validation and updating. Participants typically have a background in CAE, engineering quality assurance, structural dynamics, modal testing, noise and vibration troubleshooting. The methods shown can be applied to a wide range of industrial applications.
By the end of the course, you will gain understanding of the principles of FE model validation and updating and how they can be applied in practice. More specifically, participants will learn:
- standard techniques for FE model verification
- how testing or reference FE models can be used to validate and update a finite element model.
- about methods and supporting tools for FE model validation and updating (pretest planning, model reduction, correlation with test, sensitivity analysis,...).
- about practical decision-making to successfully start, manage and complete a model validation project.
- how to develop customized processes and integrate FE model updating in any simulation workflow.
- to interpret and postprocess results from model updating.
- how to integrate with test data and FE solvers like Nastran, Ansys, Abaqus and others.
- about applications like material identification and structural health evaluation.
- Overview of model verification, validation and updating for structural dynamics
- Database management and interfacing with commercial finite element software and test data
- Verification of FE data
- Using internal and external finite element solvers for re-analysis
- Using scripting for database management, analysis integration and automation
- FE-test correlation analysis
- Modal pretest analysis
- Sensitivity analysis
- Model updating using static test data
- Modal-based model updating
- FRF-based model updating
- ODS-based model updating
- Advanced model updating concepts (multi-model updating, parameter relations, substructurung, superelements,...)
- Force identification
- Using approximations for fast re-analysis (structural dynamics modification)
- Probabilistic model validation and updating
- Applications of model updating (material identification, structural health monitoring,...)
- Introduction to modal testing with demo of operational modal analysis and hammer impact testing
- Review and closure
The course language is English.
Ir. Eddy Dascotte, Dynamic Design Solutions NV. Eddy has consulted, developed software and presented courses for companies worldwide in the fields of structural dynamics and finite element model updating since 1987.
Dr. Tom Lauwagie, FEMtools North America, LLC. Tom obtained his PhD in 2005 at the mechanical engineering department (PMA) of the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (KUL) in the field of material identification using model updating and optimization methods.
The Mercure hotel has blocked a number of rooms at special rates. These rooms need to be reserved well in advance.
A list of other recommended hotels in and around Leuven can be obtained from DDS. Information on the city of Leuven and hotels can also be found at http://www.leuven.be
The fee for this three-day course is 950 euro per person and will be charged by invoice.
This fee includes value added tax* (21 %), course materials, lunches and refreshments.
*DDS is legally obliged to charge 21% Belgian VAT on all course fees quoted. According to the European Union VAT Directive, VAT of the country hosting the educational event must be charged. Article 53 of the VAT Directive states that "cultural, artistic, sporting, scientific, educational, entertainment and similar activities are taxed at the place where those services actually take place". This is one of the exceptions to Article 44 of the VAT Directive.
Advance registration is required. To register, please use the online registration form or download a printable version of the course flyer (PDF) and return the completed form by fax.
Note that the number of participants is limited and early registration is strongly recommended.
Upon registration you will receive an email confirmation of your reservation with additional practical information about the venue and course.
A full refund will be made for all cancellations received 7 days before the start of the course. Afterwards 50% of the costs will be charged. Substitute attendees will be accepted at any time. In the event that we have to cancel the course, you will be refunded in full but we disclaim any further liability.
For more information, please contact:Dynamic Design Solutions N.V. (DDS)Interleuvenlaan 64B-3001, Leuven, BelgiumVoice: +32 16 40 23 00Fax: +32 16 40 24 00Email: firstname.lastname@example.org