ME’scopeVES (Visual Engineering Series) from Vibrant Technology, Inc., is a family of software packages and options that make it easier for you to observe, analyze, and document noise & vibration problems in machinery and structures.
VT-620 Visual ODS An ODS shows how your machine or structure is moving, and whether or not there are excessive vibration levels. ME'scopeVES has been specifically designed to make it easier for you to observe and analyze a variety of vibration and acoustics problems in machines and structures. By animating the ODS's of a structure in slow motion, you can see what can't be seen any other way; a structure's overall motion and the motion of one part relative to another. Excessive vibration levels and loose or damaged parts are easily identified from an ODS display.
Visual ODS lets you see how a machine or structure is moving by animating ODS's directly from a set of time domain of frequency domain experimental data.
As an example of the practical use of Visual ODS, a blower fan located on the roof of a building was experiencing severe vibrations, throwing off belts, and creating high noise and vibration levels throughout the building. All attempts to balance the fan had not solved the problem.
A set of ODS data was taken while the fan was running, using a single channel analyzer with a tachometer signal. A set of Peak & Phase data at the operating speed of the motor was acquired. The animating ODS shows that the base of the motor at the end opposite the belt was moving out of phase with the motor . Removing some paint from the base of the motor revealed a previously undetected crack in the motor mount. After repairing the crack, the fan was re-balanced and the severe vibration and noise problems were eliminated.
VT-620 Visual ODS is the base for all ME'scopeVES Packages
All Packages Include:
- Interactive 3D Structure Modeling Drawing Assistant helps you rapidly build 3D models of test structures.
- Pre-built and user defined structures can also be used.
- On screen sizing, shaping, positioning and rotation of 3D drawing objects (points, lines, surfaces, substructures)
- 4 views of the 3D model can be displayed together (view along the X, Y, & Z axes plus a user interactive 3D view).
- Zoom, Pan, View Rotation and Perspective controls.
- Cut, Copy and Paste of all drawing objects.
- Copy to and paste from the Windows Clipboard so Point Coordinates can be easily edited.
- 2D Structure outlines can be traced from digital photos or drawings.
- Each point in the 3D model can have its own measurement axes (in Rectangular, Cylindrical, Spherical or Machine coordinates).
- Measurement axes can be graphically oriented at each point to match transducer measurement directions.
- Structure models can be imported from UFF, AutoCAD DXF, or popular Finite Element package formats.
- No limits on Model Size.
Time and Frequency Domain Measurements
- Data from most popular single or multi-channel analyzers, tape recorders, data acquisition systems and portable data collectors can be imported.
- All popular types of time and frequency domain measurements can be imported.
- Each Data Block of measurement data can contain thousands of measurements with millions of samples of data per measurement.
- Measurement data can be displayed as Real, Imaginary, Magnitude (Linear, Log, dB), Phase, CoQuad (Real & Imaginary), Bode (Magnitude & Phase), Nyquist, Nichols or Orbit Plots.
- Up to 100 measurements can be displayed together in a (10x10) Row/Column format, or up to 10 measurements in a Strip Chart.
- No limits on the number of measurements or the number of samples per measurement.
- Measurements can be displayed in an Overlay, Cascade and Color Map display.
- Line, Peak and Band Cursors are available.
- The measurement display can be Zoomed horizontally or vertically, with Scrolling.
- Graphics can be copied to the Clipboard as either a Bitmap or Metafile.
- Imports Peak & Phase data for animation of order related ODS's.
- Imports Mode Shapes from Finite Element Models.
Animation of ODS's
- Interactive sweep, dwell, or static display of ODS's directly from time or frequency domain measurements, using the Line, Peak or Band Cursors.
- Interactive sweep, dwell, or static display of shapes directly from a shape data table.
- Automatic interpolation of shape values for all unmeasured DOFs using data from nearby measured DOFs.
- Comparison display of ODS's from two sources (Data Blocks or Shape Tables) in Side-by-Side or Overlaid format.
- Animated display using Deformation, Arrows, Text values, or Contour Lines (including Node Lines) or Contour Color Fill.
- Animation with persistence for displaying orbits.
- Hidden Line display (either Dashed or Invisible Lines).
- Colored Surfaces. Create a Digital Movie (recording) of any animation using Microsoft AVI files.
VT-420 Visual ODS Pro
Visual ODS Pro includes all of the features of Visual ODS, plus VES-3000 Signal Processinng which provides advanced signal processing and analysis features. Visual ODS Pro includes an FFT for analyzing data in either the time or frequency domain. If also contains the unique capability to process operating (response only) data to obtain a set of ODS FRFs measurements. ODS's can be displayed directly from a set of ODS FRFs. They can also be curve fit (using a Visual Modal option) to obtain operating mode shapes.
- Simultaneous FFT & IFFT on all measurements in a Data Block. (Not restricted to powers-of-2 number of samples.)
- Integration & differentiation of time or frequency signals.
- Waveform Cut, Copy & Paste.
- Notch & Band windows for removing unwanted data.
- Exponential window for removing noise or sharpening resonance peaks.
- Calculates Fourier Spectra, Auto Spectra, PSDs & ODS FRFs from time domain operating data, using Hanning, Flat Top, or Rectangular windows, triggering, linear or peak spectrum averaging, overlap processing.
- Calculates ODS FRFs from Auto & Cross Spectra.
- Displays Order Tracked ODS's from multi-channel Order Tracked response data.
- Block Math functions (scale, add, multiply, conjugate, etc.) Linear (RMS) to Power (MS) units conversion.
- Peak, Peak to Peak, RMS scaling.
VT-570 Visual Modal
Visual Modal includes all of the features of Visual ODS Pro, plus VES-4000 Modal Analysis which provides features for processing vibration measurements to obtain modal parameters. With Visual Modal you can identify the frequency, damping & mode shape of the modes of a structure from experimental data.
- SDOF Co-Quad & Peak curve fitting. MDOF Polynomial curve fitting, with compensation for out-of-band modes.
- Local or Global curve fitting.
- Quick Fit command, one step curve fitting with minimum user interaction.
- Interactive curve fitting using selected measurements and a band cursor.
- Mode Indicator functions with resonance peak counter.
- Frequency & damping estimates overlaid on Mode Indicator graph.
- FRFs synthesized from modal parameters.
- All curve fitting functions and modal parameters saved with each measurement.
- Imports & exports modal parameters in UFF format.
VT-550 Visual Modal Pro
Visual Modal Pro adds features to Visual Modalwith both VES-3500 MIMO Modeling & Simulation and VES-4500 Multi-Reference Modal Analysis. Visual Modal Pro includes advanced curve fitting methods like Multiple Reference curve fitting. This gives you the power to isolate repeated roots or closely coupled modes. Visual Modal Pro also includes advanced processing features such as MIMO Analysis. With MIMO Analysis you can calculate Multiple Reference FRFs even if your analyzer does not include this functionality. For example, a bridge in Europe was tested using multiple shakers. Using Visual Modal Pro, the acquired time domain force and response data was post-processed to calculate a set of multiple reference FRFs. The resulting FRFs were the curve fit and the mode shapes of the bridge displayed in animation. A typical mode shape display is shown here.
- MDOF Z-Polynomial curve fitting.
- MDOF Complex Exponential curve fitting.
- MDOF Alias Free Polynomial (AF Poly) curve fitting.
- Multiple Reference curve fitting.
- Stability diagram.
- Graphical display of frequencies & damping for a range of curve fitting model sizes.
- CMIF (Complex Mode Indicator Function), indicates closely coupled modes & repeated roots.
- MMIF (Multivariate Mode Indicator Function), indicates closely coupled modes & repeated roots.
- Modal Assurance Criterion (MAC), numerical shape comparison.
- Shape Complexity plot.
- Shape component Magnitude ranking.
- MIMO Forced Response. Calculates multiple response time or frequency waveforms from FRFs (or modes) and multiple excitation force waveforms.
- MIMO Sinusoidal Forced Response. Calculates and displays response shapes due to multiple sinusoidal excitation forces.
- MIMO Forces. Calculates multiple excitation force time or frequency waveforms from FRFs (or modes) and multiple response waveforms.
- Calculates MIMO FRFs or Transfer Functions, and Ordinary or Multiple & Partial Coherences from multiple excitation & response time waveforms, using Hanning, Flat Top, or Rectangular windows, triggering, linear or peak averaging, overlap processing.
- Calculates MIMO FRFs, Transfer Functions, and Coherences from Auto & Cross Spectra.
VT-540 Visual SDM & VT-560 Visual SDM Pro
VT-540 Visual SDM includes all of the features of Visual Modal, plus VES-5000 Structural Modifications. VT-560 Visual SDM Pro includes all of the features of Visual Modal Pro, plus VES-5000 Structural Modifications.
Once you've determined that there is a resonance problem in your machine or structure, the next question is, "How can the problem be fixed?"
Visual SDM & Visual SDM Pro help you investigate alternative solutions to resonance problems. Visual SDM & Visual SDM Pro adds additional tools for investigating structural modifications to all of the ODS and modal analysis features of either Visual Modal or Visual Modal Pro. The Structural Dynamics Modification (SDM) method lets you simulate the effects that a variety of potential modifications will have on the resonances of a structure without having to actually make them.
The resonances (modes) of a machine or structure depend on its physical properties (geometry, density, elasticity, boundary conditions, etc.). Changing the physical properties by adding brackets, stiffeners, tuned absorbers or other modifications, will affect the modes. Using Visual SDM or Visual SDM Pro, modifications are modeled using standard finite elements such as springs, masses, bars and plates. Then, using the mode shapes of the original (unmodified) structure, SDM calculates a new set of mode shapes for the modified structure.
For example, a stiffener was added across the bottom of an aluminum panel. Adding the stiffener replaces the first mode of the structure (a bending mode at 73Hz) with a torsional mode at 94Hz. The torsional mode was the second mode of the unmodified structure but was not affected by the rib stiffener. Without the stiffener, machinery operating at 4000-4500 RPM would excite the first bending mode of this panel causing it to resonate. Adding the stiffener not only eliminated the first mode at 73Hz, but also removed another mode at 143Hz, thus removing a potential resonance problem at 2X RPM as well.
- Interactive graphical addition of modification elements to a structure model.
- Displays modification elements on the structure model.
- Point mass, linear spring & linear damper elements. Rod & beam elements.
- Triangular & quadrilateral plate elements.
- Tetrahedron, prism & brick solid elements. Spreadsheets for finite element properties.
- Modal sensitivity analysis. Substructuring (connecting together two or more structures using finite elements).
- Tuned absorber (mass, spring, damper element). Scaling of operating modes.
VT-910 Visual OMA
Includes VT-550 Visual Modal Pro plus the VES-4700 Operating Modal Analysis option. For cases where excitation forces cannot be measured and only operating responses can be acquired, modal parameters can be extracted from a set of specially processed Cross Spectra or ODS FRFs. This option adds special windowing and other features to the Multi-Reference Modal Analysis Option, and provides a complete set of capabilities for extracting modal parameters from measurements made in any type of testing environment.
VT-920 Visual Experimental FEA
Includes the VT-570 Visual Modal package plus the VES-8000 Finite Element Analysis Option.This package calculates the normal or complex modes of a structure from a finite element model. It contains a library of finite elements which includes springs, masses, dampers, rods, bars, plates, and solid elements. It also includes the FEA assistant for quickly populating any structure model with finite elements. Mode shape expansions are also obtained from an FEA model and experimental data. FEA models can also be imported and exported in several popular FEA file formats, including the NASTRAN format.
- FEA Assistant. Populates a geometric model with finite elements. Includes material & geometric property lists.
- Calculates Normal Modes for up to 20,000 DOFs.
- Calculates Complex Modes (with damping) for up to 2000 DOFs.
- Shape Expansion. Calculates unmeasured shape DOFs using FE model and response measurements at a few DOFs.
VT-930 Visual Model Updating
Includes the VT-560 Visual SDM Pro package plus VES-9000 Finite Element Model Updating Options. This package finds the 10 Best solutions that update properties of an FEA model so that its modes more closely match a set of experimental modes. Property changes include mass, spring, and damper changes, rod element cross sectional area, beam element cross sectional area and inertias, plate element thicknesses and material properties (elasticity, Poissons ratio, & density).
VT-710 Visual Acoustics
VT-620 Plus VES-6000 Acoutics option. This package allows you to post-process and display Acoustic Intensity, Sound Pressure Level (SPL), Sound Power, Octave and Narrow Band measurement data. You can also display acoustic shapes and vibration data together in the same picture, so that surface vibrations can be correlated with acoustic field measurements.
- Animated display of vibro-acoustic (acoustic & vibration) data.
- Displays narrow band or 1/1, 1/3rd, 1/12th, 1/24th octave band measurements.
- Displays measurements in Linear, Log, dB, dB Reference.
- Acoustic Intensity calculated from Cross Spectrum or time domain data.
- Sound Power through a surface calculated from Intensity data.
- Converts narrow band measurements to octave band.
- A, B & C weighting of narrow band or octave band measurements.
- Noise source ranking based on percentage, dB, or watts.
- Magnitude & phase tone calibration.
VT-740 Visual Vibro-Acoustics & VT-750 Visual Vibro-Acoustics Pro
VT-740 Visual Vibro-Acoustics adds VES-6000 Acoustics to VT-570 Visual Modal. VT-750 Visual Vibro-Acoustics Pro adds VES-6000 Acoustics to VT-550 Visual Modal Pro.
These packages provides you with the tools necessary to analyze both vibration and acoustic problems in structures or machinery and correlate surface vibrations with acoustic measurements. With acoustics, you can display and post-process Acoustic Intensity and Sound Pressure Level (SPL) data, calculate the P-I Index, and perform a variety of others tasks.
VT-950 Visual STN 2010
The package that does it all. Includes VT-620 package plus:
- VES-2000 Rotating Machine Animation
- VES-3000 Signal Processing
- VES-3500 MIMO Modeling & Simulation
- VES-4000 Modal Analysis
- VES-4500 Multi-Reference Modal Analysis
- VES-4700 Operating Modal Analysis
- VES-5000 Structural Dynamics Modifications
- VES-6000 Acoustics
- VES-7000 Programming
- VES-8000 Finite Element Analysis
- VES-9000 Finite Element Model Updating